Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Local Class and Rocking Portopotties - The Arizona Distance Classic Report


The Arizona Distance Classic Report

It doesn’t hurt me
Do you want to feel how it feels?
Do you want to know that it doesn’t hurt me?
Do you want to hear about the deal that I’m making?
You, it's you and me.

And if I only could,

I'd make a deal with god,
And I'd get him to swap our places,
Be running up that road,
Be running up that hill,
With no problems.

Kate Bush, Running up that Hill

I did the Arizona Distance Classic Valley of Gold Half Marathon (A John Bingham Race) in Oro Valley on Sunday March 16

It almost seems like it takes longer to recite and type the title than it does to run the race

At least for me – (and I’ll cut to the chase right away on this one) On a very hilly and windy course at altitudes between 2800 and 3200 feet, I turned off a very cool 1:46:26 placing me 11th in my age group, 121 overall out of 755, and the 93rd out of 294 males that finished today. (Pay attention to these stats, there is something that you alert readers should notice. I’ll comment later)

Either way, this was my fastest half marathon time since 1992 (and in 1992, I was almost 16 years younger). This is also anywhere from 8-10 minutes faster than the half marathon times I was posting at this time last year as well.

For this race, I went out with a good edge from the starting gun and also had a lot to pour on in the last 5K. And, I kept thinking how cool it was that there was "only" 13.1 miles to run.

Only a “Half”.

All this clean living is really paying off.

I'm finally getting what an incredible blessing being a snowbird is - I've gotten stronger and faster being able to train outside all winter And, also at some minor altitude as well. Thank you Reid Park!

The race was held at the Ventana Medical Center in Oro Valley which is just north of Tucson on Oracle Road. In fact, my constant readers may recognize that this race was held at the EXACT spot at which I parked at to catch the bus to the starting line of the ill-fated Tucson Marathon last December. I parked in the exact same parking lot, but this time, I only had to walk across the street to get to the race festivities.

I drove the half hour up to pick up my packet on Saturday as I had some errands to run. In fact, it was just that – Packet Pickup. Get your shirt, get your chip, get out. There was no expo attached to this very largely-hyped event, but from my standpoint, who needed it? The good stuff came on Race Day. I did meet Carrie, one of the lead sponsors from the about-to-be-opened-in-Oro Valley 123 Fitness. She chatted with me about the race, while deftly stuffing packets with propaganda, and fielding volunteer issues.

(The T-shirt was a white Long-sleeve cotton, typical, with the Logo on the front and sponsors on the back. I’ve already found an excellent recipient for this one. Jean, it’s in the mail!)

The weather in Tucson had turned worse on Saturday night. We had been in the 80’s with Sunny Skies all week, very summery, but that night the wind picked up and the temperature dropped. After listening to the wind howl all night, I got up early and headed back across town.

In short order I was parked and using the very sparsely attended Porto potties. And here was something comedic. Somehow, the Porto potties were resting on some sort of tilted skids, and not properly tied down. As people got in to use them, they would buck violently back and forth, like one of those quarter-driven storefront Bucking Bronco rides of my youth. As a result, I darn near spattered my shoes. And from outside, it looked absolutely hysterical. From inside there was nothing you could do, even if you stood rock still, the entire structure wobbled and rocked like some crazed and intoxicated Weebil.

As I exited, I flashed a grin at the chuckling spectators who had lined up as I was within. “Yee-hah!” I said, and they all burst out laughing.

John “The Penguin” Bingham, he of Runners World fame was the sponsor for this event, and indeed, he is really good at throwing a huge party as it were, pumping up the crowd and really sending out high energy. It was soon time to line up for the start, and over the PA System, he made several Penguin-like comments, such as “You’ve paid to have this course open for four hours! Take your time and enjoy! Pretend it’s Disney Land! And “Make sure you start off slow and then just taper off!” A countdown clock hung over the start line counting down the minutes to 7:00 am. A minute before the start, John climbed into a Mustang convertible to lead the race, the Mayor of Oro Valley took over the Microphone, and at exactly the stroke of 7:00 am we were off.

It was cool, with some clouds over the Catalina’s and the sun was not over the mountains yet. Rain was threatened, but the wind was not AS fierce as it had been all night, though it was constant throughout the course. Temperature was in the high 40’s and I was a little cool in a short sleeve technical shirt and shorts.

As mentioned, I took off pretty quick downhill, around a corner, and then started heading uphill for what seemed like the first half of the race. I was dogged for most of the first three miles by the 1:50 pace group, which consisted of one guy, decked out in Gloves and Hat and carrying a bobbing blue sign. I tried to engage him in conversation, but he was totally uninterested, and stiffly repelled my conversational forays. Fine. I dug in a little more and after the third mile, left him behind.

I did run the first mile or so with Barb from Louisiana, who shared in that short time we ran together that she had only found out about the race last night, had done a 12 mile training run the day before and had no idea what she was going to do. And, after telling me this, she put her head down, picked up the pace and was soon far off in the distance ahead of me.

The course was an out and back, a zigzagging loop on four lane road, going out on one side and back on the other, far side. It was entirely through the Dell Webb-built Golf Communities of Oro Valley, those never-ending subdivisions of ubiquitous ranch-style adobe homes that all look alike, where Senior citizens tool around all day in Golf Carts and eat at 4:00 pm every day to get the early bird specials. Not much scenery, though the mountains always made a great back drop. And, not much crowd support either – spectators, though enthusiastic, were few and far between.

And, as mentioned, the hills. I couldn’t find an elevation map on the website, but my GPS later showed a meandering, mostly uphill (both ways) course.

Plenty of water stops, about every 2 miles. As it wasn’t hot, I mostly partook of the Gatorade they offered.

I really hadn’t taken this race seriously. I had no meds, no gel packs, did minimal chafe protection and only took the day before off from running (Saturday - and mostly because I was pretty tired from the busy week I had) Anyway, I treated it much like a 10K in that I took off pretty quick, kept a stiff pace for most of the miles, and, in the last four miles or so, turned it on.

After mile 3, I was pretty much running alone the whole race, though I saw as the race turned around and runners started coming back, a stream of runners ahead of me. I thought to myself, “You know, I’m just not fast” and, I really am not, though today I did pretty well. The best part I remember is that I held a pretty steady 8:15 pace for the first five miles or so, and then started shaving that down in each mile after that. After turning around at the 6.55 mile mark, and returning the way I had come, I began picking runners off one at a time.

I kept sneaking glances at my GPS to track the miles. Each time, and without fail, I hit it on the Sixes – 3.6, 4.6, 5.6, etc

Speaking of GPS, this course was obviously measured using a Garmin Forerunner 205. Specifically, MY Garmin Forerunner 205. Each mile marker was within .01 miles of what my GPS said (5.01 for 5, 7.99 for 8 for example). And at the finish line, my readout was EXACTLY 13.1 miles. Go figure! Is there that much course skew on the other races? Or in Oro Valley, are the Satellites better?

Or, because I was running faster, does the GPS keep up more accurately?

Who knows. Today, my erratic GPS was dead bang on!

Starting at Mile 11, there was a big downhill stretch (that I had remembered as a big UPHILL stretch from the “out” portion) and I was all alone at the time. I poured it on, hammering down the hill and really feeling fast. At one point I looked at my GPS and it had me clocking at a 6:55 mile. Very cool.

So, after hammering down the hill for almost two miles, we crossed a long dry wash, and hung a right and the Finish line was about a block and a half away. I kept up the pace, in fact increasing it for the last 200 yard and crossed the mats holding my hands up high. Clock time of 1:46:32, later my chip time knocked off six seconds off that.

John Bingham called my name as I crossed, and ad-libbed something about my looking great.

I went down the L-shaped finishers chute, collecting a bottle of water, a bottle of Gatorade, and a bottle of “Snapple Anti-oxidant Water”

I drank the plain water, anyway.

Staggering under the load of these new possessions, I had my chip cut off, received my medal – a cool Black Ribboned gold one, with the Bingham Penguin Logo on the back (they were handing them out, not draping them on you though) and met Barb-from-Louisiana in the Chutes. She had been two minutes in front of me and had a blast. We had a finishers photo done together for the heck of it as neither of us would buy one anyway. Here is the link, I am bib number 772 http://www.runphotos.com/browse.cfm

The finish line was pretty cool. There were several laptop computers set up so you could actually check your results immediately. I instantly signed up for a “massage stretch” and there were other vendors, including Chiropractors and Nutritional people. However, there wasn’t much food – Bagels and very Green Bananas was it. And, they were really pushing the Anti-Oxidant water, I saw several people carrying entire cases to their cars.

I refrained. It didn’t look too good.

I had to get some warm clothes right away. The wind picked up and rain started spattering and if anything, the temperature started dropping. I was freezing, so went off to the car to get some dry clothes.
Finish Line Photos, more story below:

I returned for my massage stretch, an outstanding thing to do, with a very adept therapist named Bryan. After wandering around for a bit, shooting a few photos (see them below) it was time to go home. Oh, and to stop on the way at Nico’s Taco Shop and get a Chorizo-and-Egg Burrito, my new Tucson Post-Race Libation.

I half to say (ha!) that the Half Marathon is really a perfect race. Not a full Marathon, which I love, but a different experience. It’s not the 20-something minute 5K sprint, but kind of a nice medium-length conversation, with some opportunity to push. Usually less than two hours, but with a finishers medal. And, not much training necessary, most anyone could walk it should they choose. And, you could do back to back halves on a weekend if you really wanted to.

And, the Half Marathon is getting really popular! You may remember that in Carlsbad in January, the people running the Half, outnumbered the full marathon people 7 to 1 – 6,300 Half Marathoners, 900 full marathoners. And indeed – and here is the thing to notice from the Stats above - more and more Women are doing the Half marathon distance – today they outnumbered the men 462 to 293 = 40% more women went the distance today. That is so cool!!
I haven’t counted how many Half’s I’ve done but maybe I will. And, once again, I’m guessing that this is some great training for the next time I tackle the 26.2

Which is hopefully soon. I’m having trouble pinning down either a March or April Marathon due to logistics the ever-increasing cost of Travel and also our very full lives here in Tucson. And, yesterday I signed up for the Eugene Oregon on May 4th, thanks to a kind invite from Laurence Taoman, who is returning to the distance after a hiatus of a few years. As that course is billed as Flat and Fast (a definite departure from my last six or so) who knows what could happen?.



And one other interesting thing. One of the Statistics that showed up in my Finishers info was something called “Age Grade” Mine said “Age Grade – 61.3%

Wondering what that meant, I clicked on the ? that was next to it and here is what popped up

Age-Graded Results

"AGE-GRADED" results are calculated using tables developed by the World Association of Veteran Athletes (the world governing body for masters track and field, long distance running and race walking). These tables were first published in 1989 and are frequently updated. The tables can be used in two ways: first, by comparing your time to a standard for your sex and age, you can determine your Performance Level Percent. These percentages can be interpreted as follows:
· 100% = Approximate World-Record Level
· Over 90% = World Class
· Over 80% = National Class
· Over 70% = Regional Class
· Over 60% = Local Class

So, that is cool – I’m “Local Class” in my age group. Maybe I’m not that slow after all!

However, and some of you may be thinking it would be really simple to do the math, and say, “Okay, your half time is 1:46, doesn’t that mean that you should be able to run about a 3:30 Full Marathon?

I wish. Hey, it’s twice the distance. And, I have run that fast, but it was about 16-18 years ago. But if I keep training and staying healthy, (and maybe with a friendly course) maybe I’ll continue to narrow the time down.

Thanks for reading everyone! Hope we can either go Half or All the Way together soon!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the MP3 e MP4, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mp3-mp4-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.